Sick certificates

You only need a doctor’s note if you are unable to work and are ill for longer than seven consecutive calendar days.

Your employer will provide you with an SC2 self-certificate form for shorter periods of illness. All employers have a responsibility to provide this to you, regardless of the size of the organisation.

If your employer insists on a certificate for periods of absence from work of less than 7 days we will issue a private certificate for which there is a charge of £30.

Please note that GPs are unable to provide a ‘return to work’ certificate. This is an occupational health / HR issue and regardless of the size of the organisation it is your employers responsibility to assess your fitness and ability to return to work.

Date published: 8th October, 2014
Date last updated: 22nd January, 2019